Skip to content

What is


German and South African cultures harmonise beautifully – the German’s have a long tradition of making and eating a variety of different sausages and South Africans are particularly proud of their traditional sausage, called Boerewors.

Boerewors, ([ˈbuːrəˌvors]) a type of sausage which originated in South Africa, is an important part of South African and Namibian cuisine and is popular across Southern Africa.
The name is derived from the Afrikaans/Dutch words boer (“farmer”) and worst (“sausage”).

“He who holds the Boerewors, controls the country”

 – Anne Trapido, food anthropologist.

Boerewors should have no more than 30% fat. It is a predominantly beef sausage with some pork or lamb in. Boerewors must contain at least 90% meat. The remaining 10% is spices, herbs and fluids. There are a few different spices that go into Boerewors, the main flavor is that of toasted coriander seeds.

No South African function is complete without a Boerewors roll – and South African’s are passionate about their national sausage to the point we have competitions who makes the best Boerewors.

Our internal Boerewors expert, Johann, worked for months with our chosen local butcher to commercialise his family’s recipe and ensure we meet German health and safety standards while staying true to the typical South African flavours and textures.

It's all about the